INTERNSHIP @ CNPL
(A) Project opportunities at CNPL
Our work @ the Computational Neurophysiology Laboratory largely revolves around developing computational models and mathematical frameworks that underlie the cellular biophysics of excitable cells: neurons, smooth muscle cells etc., as well as developing network models of such cells to study function at the local network level. Our ongoing project is focused on understanding urinary bladder biophysics, which despite years of research remains an ill-understood field. Accordingly, all current strands of work in the lab are aimed at investigating various cell types within the bladder wall, namely, smooth muscle cells, sensory neurons, motor neurons, pacemaking cells, epithelial cells, and the many-faceted interactions between them. These interactions finally determine how the bladder functions physiologically and how pathologies of function, which are also poorly unravelled at present, may arise.
(B) Procedure for Applying
- Email your application request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your application request must contain the following information and attachments:
- Cover letter – stating your interest, motivation, skills and background
- Updated Resume
- Any other documents that you deem necessary to support your application
- If your application is considered suitable and therefore shortlisted for further processing, we will conduct a mandatoryentrance test for the shortlisted applicants, wherein we ascertain the aptitude of the student to carry out research at our laboratory.
- The entrance examination tests the applicant on the following:
- Basics of cellular biophysics of neurons (Theoretical)&
- Entry level programming of the simulation environment “NEURON” which is the software platform on which we build 95 percent of our models (Computational).
- We give the applicant the related reference material in advance and also point out to the book chapters/concepts that they would find to be relevant.
- Along with the reference material, we also forward two Question Papers (1 Theoretical & 1 Computational) as summarised in point 2, that we expect the applicant to solve once they are done reading the reference material suggested.
- The applicant can solve the Question Papers at their convenience. We typically give the applicant, 2-3 weeks to solve the two question papers. The applicant then has to email us the scanned pdf copy of the answers from the first question paper as well as program files/screenshots/code and results from the second question paper.
- We will evaluate your answers, ascertain your suitability for the internship and get back to you on the status of your internship application.
Important: We will not be able to provide on-campus accommodation to you due to institute restrictions. Therefore, should you be selected for the internship, you will have to arrange for your own accommodation. We request you to keep this limitation in mind before taking the application forward.